Sunday, April 07, 2013

Moderation in the key

These past two weeks have been rather challenging. I knew it would be. With all of the sweet temptations and Maltese hand pies, we haven't indulged much.  It has been hard to resist, especially when my dad brings them here. I've eaten the white bread in moderation. Bread here is 99% of the time white, and it is everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I'd eat it all the time if I wasn't being careful. We found a place that served wholemeal pasta, and that is the only time we ordered it.

I've been drinking Lacto-milk while in Malta. To say the least, my cappuccino attempts have been rather disappointing. I cart around a small wine bottle from Air Malta wherever I go filled with my own milk so I can have caffeine. The taste is just plain weird. Aside from it coming in a tetra pak carton from the unrefrigerated shelf, it tastes watered down and has a strange taste to it. I've had it cold, hot, and steamed. I've used sugar and sweetener. Doesn't make a difference.

One of the neat things I've come across, is that almost anything will be put on a pizza here. It is pretty cool. I had a tasty one with tuna (common with Maltese people), artichoke hearts, peas, and onions. Luckily, I have been able to order with Parm instead of Mozzarella. I'd never had artichoke hearts other than in dip, and I rather liked them. The peas were an odd addition, but it worked. My mom usually makes tuna pizza, so I'm used to that. Unfortunately, the crust only comes in white flour. Some of the unconventional items have been smoked salmon, eggs, shell fish, and octopus to name a few.

I've had ice cream twice here, both times it was a hazelnut flavour of ice cream. Thankfully, it doesn't bother my stomach. Ice cream is everywhere too, so the blinders have to go up. If I don't see it, I won't want it. I'm glad that where we are staying, there aren't many pastry places. The coffee shops usually have cakes and cookies, and the odd time a few creamy pastries. We've usually eaten already, so it is easier to say no.

The hardest time I've had would have to be last night at my aunt's wedding supper. I really wanted to try the eggplant rolls, but they had mozzarella in them and I wasn't taking any chances by removing the cheese. Then the garlic bread was put down right beside me. Torture!!! It smelled so good with melted mozzarella on it. Then the cubed cheese was calling my name. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a soft cheese. Ney Ney. At least I could partake in the main course. I ate way too much meat, but I was good during the day.

I'm surprised that lactose-intolerance seems like such a foreign concept in Malta. When I ask about how something is prepared, people almost seem offended when I say I can't have it. It isn't a choice for me. I would love to have whole milk cappuccinos or tea at any time, or cheesy pizza, but I don't want to fell the after effects.

Our adventures are coming to an end in a few days. I think I can continue being mostly strong. After seeing myself in the wedding pictures, I am even more determined to stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment