Thursday, September 01, 2011

My Favourite Taco Seasoning

I didn't grow up with many ethnic influences when it came to food. It was mainly Maltese dishes or meat+potatoes types of meals. Since being on my own, I have learned how many other cuisines that are out there and have awesome flavours. One such cuisine is Mexican. I love fajitas, tacos, guacamole and other concoctions of their foods.

After watching a number of episodes of The Rachael Ray Show, I noted her use of a basic taco seasoning in a variety of dishes. I have to give her credit for this one. I use a ton of it, so I make batches and keep it in a jar. Here it is:

2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin

When I mix this seasoning, I don't add salt until I use it. I just sprinkle the seasoning on the food as I am cooking it, so no added water is needed when starting with raw ingredients. If using on precooked meat or rice, you might want to add some water so when it is warming up, it absorbs the flavour of the spice.

Packaged taco seasoning has so much salt and other junk, it is a turn off. I add salt to taste so I can control how much salt is in our food. This seasoning can be used on turkey, chicken, pork, beef, and even veggies. I haven't tried it on fish or tofu, but I'm sure it would work wonders.

Keep a few batches of this in a jar and add how much of it you want! You won't regret it :)

Bon apetito!
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I'll have to try it, too. I've been wondering what to fry rice in to make it taste like it does in mexican restaurants. Tips for that, too, would be great!

    ReplyDelete