Monday, July 08, 2013

What you callin' jerk?

Another new recipe I've tried also comes from my neighbour Tammy. It is for Jerk Chicken! It isn't too spicy the way I make it, so I don't know how authentic it is. Either way, it is really tasty! Most of the ingredients are common staples in the kitchen, at least in my kitchen they are. I use boneless, skinless chicken, but any cut would work and doesn't have to be boneless. I imagine you could jerk up just about any protein. The nice thing about this recipe, is that all you really need is a blender! So dust off that blender and get jerking!

In your blender (a food processor would also work), blend all of the ingredients. Here is what you need:
5 green onions/scallions
1 tbsp fresh or 1/2 tbsp dry thyme
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp all spice
1 tsp each nutmeg and cinnamon
2 red chillies (Thai?)
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp neutral oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 onion
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp grated ginger

A few notes:
For less heat, remove the seeds and ribs of the chillies. I used fresh.
Rough chop the onions and garlic before putting in the blender.
One large navel orange squeezed yields about 1/2 cup of juice.
Ginger keeps amazingly in the freezer. Peel it with a spoon and store in a zip-top bag. Just grate what you need from frozen!
This recipe makes enough to marinate four or more pieces of meat, depending on size. It makes quite a bit!
You'll want to marinate 6-8 hours, but when in doubt, overnight is good. I left my chicken in for three days, and it was awesome.

I grilled the chicken on indirect heat in the bbq. Cook until the juices run clear and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing or serving.

We absolutely loved this recipe, and currently have some marinating in the fridge! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment