Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Got MoJo?

I live in a neighbourhood of people who love food. It is awesome! I was talking with my neighbour, Tammy, and she gave me a few of her recipes to try. Oftentimes, I just want to try something new. Those who really know me, know that I am not easily swayed to try new things. Let me tell you! If you like bbq chicken, you will love this!

The recipe is called MoJo Chicken. You can make it as spicy as you want. It doesn't have anything scary in it. Just make sure to plan ahead! I didn't, and it led to the chicken hanging out in marinade for three days in the fridge.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (I used sriracha)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
bone-in, skin-on chicken

In a zip-top bag, make the marinade. I juiced an orange since I didn't have OJ on hand. One navel orange makes enough juice. If you want a spicy chicken, add more hot sauce. The 1/2tsp doesn't make it spicy. Add the chicken to the bag, swish it around, and put it in the fridge for 6-8 hours. "When in doubt, leave it overnight" as Tammy said.

Remove the chicken from the bag, and pour the marinade into a small pot. Bring it to a boil for about a minute. I left this step out, and it still turned out great.

Heat your bbq to medium heat. Cook the chicken over INDIRECT heat until the juices run clear. Takes about 30-40 minutes. If you want, baste with the boiled marinade once or twice.

For crispy skin, grill the chicken on direct heat for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

The chicken comes out nice and tender. Usually, I don't go for chicken breast because it dries out too much, but not with this recipe. I cooked off three breasts with this recipe, so you have an idea of how much this marinade stretches. It had a nice, subtle flavour. I forgot about the garlic, so feel free to leave it out if you aren't a fan! Definitely a repeat recipe!

We really enjoyed this recipe, and I hope you do too!

Enjoy!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment