Thursday, March 07, 2013

I Knew

I knew you were trouble. Every time I hear that song by Taylor Swift, I think of my relationship with food. I know it is about falling for a bad boy. In my life, the bad boy is junk food.

'I think part of me knew the second that I (ate) it, this would happen.' I knew junk food would make me gain weight. This is where the little devil on my shoulder wins. "Just a little, it won't hurt".

'It was the feeling that came along with it. And the crazy thing is that I don't know if I'll ever feel that way again. ' The feeling that comes along with indulging in something decadent like caramel, cheesecake, or anything else that is sweet is unique. Kind of like how some people say chocolate is better than sex. A feeling only sugar can give.

'I knew you were trouble when (I saw you). Shame on me now. You took (my taste buds) to places (they'd) never been. Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground'. Shame on me. I have to live with the consequences of those tasty, fatty, sugary food.

'No apologies, he'll (the companies) never see you cry
Pretend he (they) doesn't know that he's (they're) the reason why
You're drowning, you're drowning, you're drowning
Now I heard you moved on from whispers on the street
A new notch in your belt is all I'll ever be'

The companies who make junk food don't apologize. Why should they? We're the ones buying their products. They look the other way when studies state that their products are unhealthy and are contributing to the obesity epidemic. We are drowning in their ads on tv, billboards, radio, and magazines. If they lose you as a customer, they'll move onto the next poor soul who is either too weak to say no or don't know better. We are each just another "notch" on their belt because they know a sucker is born every day.

I've never deluded myself into thinking that milk chocolate, chips, cookies, etc were good choices. I just never thought about it. I don't think anyone out there can say that those things don't taste good. Sometimes I get into a mood where I just done care... until I snap out of it and fall into remorse. Eater's remorse. You can't change what has already been put into your body. The only thing you can do is not do it again and try to work off those dreadful calories.

'I don't know if you know who you are until you lose who you are.' I've lost who I was. It is time for me to find myself again. I know the lighter me is in here somewhere.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's true for you as well, but as I've been cooking more, I'm realizing that fresh prepared whole foods really do taste so much better than processed junk food! It makes it easier and easier to resist those foods and replace them with home recipes when I get the craving.

    One change I've made besides that is to use brown sugar in place of white sugar. It has more flavor, maybe it would help break the cravings for the sugary processed stuff that's usually made with corn syrup or refined sugar.

    Though making it at home isn't always the best idea, we'll eat the whole batch of cookies in one sitting! It's definitely worked out better for me to splurge for fresh made, whole foods, deserts in small quantities rather than keeping it stockpiled in the house.

    I wish you so much luck with this, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete