Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oh Snap!

Tonight was our first night in Malta. We decided to go out for supper, and ended up at this cute little place. They had "catch of the day" fish, which isn't a big surprise. I'm not a big fish eater. I like canned tuna, and the odd Basa filet. Tonight, I got adventurous and ordered red snapper! Joe got a chicken dish, just in case I didn't like it. I was surprised to see a whole fish on my plate. Head to tail on a huge platter. Didn't know where to start. I'd never eaten a whole fish before. I'd never really eaten much fish before! So I'm picking at this fish, trying to avoid the ribs (is that what you call them??) When I was a kid I choked on a fish bone, so I've been fish shy. Turns out I like snapper! I ate almost the whole fish, minus head and tail. If I had known ahead of time, I would have asked for it to be cut in two so we could both have it. We had a side of grilled veggies which were pretty fantastic.

Eating on the way here was a challenge. I packed a few big carrots and red peppers, and we ate most of them before getting on the plane. We got a few strange looks because we were eating plain vegetables like they were treats. I must have had 2 big carrots and 2 red peppers. It helped to tide us over for a bit. This morning, the plane served muffins. I use that term loosely. They were huge and had about 47g of carbs. Ah... no thanks. Then on Air Malta, we were given a white dinner roll and a packaged piece of chocolate cake. Again, no thanks. I cheated by having a few forks of the caramel "cheesecake" dessert last night, so that is where I had to draw the line. I heard the old me egging me on to eat it all and to hell with the consequences. In the words of one of my favourite comic, John Pinette, "nay nay!" That wasn't how I was going to start these two weeks. I had a little bit of white bread with supper, and the lunch on the plane was white pasta. I only ate the pasta because I was starvin'! I managed to find poached eggs at the airport which were mediocre. Was better than the sausage and baked beans my dad ate. The fruit salad was mostly made up of my least favourite melon, honeydew, but I ate it because it was the healthiest thing I was going to find.

I know it will be hard to stay on the A train, but I'm trying. I can only do so much, and I haven't had coffee since before going to the airport. Lord knows, I've needed it. A few baristas, again, using that term loosely, looked at me like I had 10 eyes when I asked if they had lactose-free milk. What is that? What is lactose? Uh... ok. I didn't think it was that uncommon in London. Yet to go on my search here.

Looking forward to sharing other new foods I try! Fish will be a new adventure. I'll keep you posted!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment