Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Life Choices

Food. We need it to live. We eat when we're happy. We eat when we're sad. We eat as a family and for special occasions. Eating the right food can be challenging. If you're like me, you like food. Personally, I have an insatiable sweet tooth. That is problematic when diabetes and obesity run in your family. Unfortunately, when it comes to health issues, the deck is stacked against me. Being overweight doesn't help. I find it hard to say no to sugars and carbs.

I had to look at my life. It wasn't easy, but I have decided to be proactive and started eating a diabetic diet. I can't say I'm thrilled. I'm not a fan of being accountable for what I do and what I eat. So the food is being measured and weighed. I'm only allowed so much of a particular food group. Who knew that that deck-of-cards sized portion of meat was actually 2.5 oz and counts as 2.5 servings?

I'm learning about serving sizes. Let me say they are a lot smaller than I thought. I wasn't aware of how many calories are in nuts, olive oil, and seeds. Now we need to be more conscious of how much we use in our cooking. It is easy to lose track of just how much you use when roasting vegetables. Two tablespoons of peanut butter can be quite satisfying. I'm getting used to using only half a teaspoon of sugar in my smaller latte. I'll work on being able to half that, but for now, it is a start.

I am a self-diagnosed sugar addict. I love my sugar. Sometimes I need that can of Coke. Really want that milk chocolate. Crave cake or ice cream. This is going to be a big challenge.  It is really hard shopping at the Bulk Barn with those tempting easter eggs, chocolate covered almonds, etc. I've been strong. I've been fighting temptation. Some days are much harder than others to get over the cravings.

I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners. They don't really agree with me. I am able to use some of that Mio water enhancer in moderation. It helps me get my water in. Sometimes water is just too boring. I know that sweeteners are not good for you. I can't stand sugar twin or sweet and low. I sometimes use Splenda in pancakes/waffles and some baking.

I know this venture will not be easy. I may stumble because I am me and I am human. I have to be strong and God help me get through Easter.

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Use TRUVIA for sweetening. It's natural and if it doesn't upset your stomach, a good alternative! Lisa, it is hard for me too. Grocery shopping is the hardest part, with all those easter chocolates staring me in the face while I'm supposed to be getting broccoli. In December I was eating 2 full chocolate bars daily, on top of all the rich foods for Christmas. Tell me, how else can one run 25km/week and GAIN weight. haha

    I invite you to join me on www.loseit.com ! It is the only way I keep things under control. It gives you reports on carb/protein/fat ratios and if you have a smartphone you can scan barcodes (not that you should be eating anything packaged/processed, but let's be realistic here).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using MyFitnessPal. I get depressed when I make poor choices and am starving. It is hard finding things that fill me.

    ReplyDelete