Monday, October 31, 2011

Malta- Day10

Today was a busy day! We stopped for coffee (espresso and cappuccino) at one of the many little cafés after a tour of St. John's Co-Cathedral. I was feeling rather drowsy, so we had two! I think this might be a habit that will continue when we are at home.

For lunch, we went down to the waterfront and dined at an Italian place called Pepe Nero. We started with a mushroom soup that was quite good. To think, I've never tried to make it! We then each had a pizza. I had a mushroom pizza that had porcini and button mushrooms (it was a mushroom kind of day!) and Joe had a pizza with zucchini, eggplant and peppers. It was all very filling. Aunty Mary's friend gave us għadam tal-mejtin (Dead Man's Bones). They are almond filling cookies that are in the shape of bones. They are popular around this time because of All Saints day and All Souls day. The "bones" are covered with icing. Anything with almonds is a-okay with us!

Since we weren't very hungry in the evening, we stopped at Busy Bee in Ta-Xbiex/Msida. Dad is always talking about their food. Joe finally got to try Lampuki Pie. He liked it. It apparently didn't taste fishy, but boy did it smell fishy! I just got 2 pastizzi. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with the piżelli (peas) ones. I haven't had good experiences with them while here. Mom's are WAY better. Since it was Joe's birthday, I got us two pastries to share once back at the hotel. One was a layer cake with coconut and chocolate. It was obvious that they put some kind of liqueur in the cake. I also got what looked like a canolli, but with more of a pastry shell as opposed to a deep fried crunchy one. It had a vanilla cream inside and was rather tasty too.

Boy am I going to miss some of this stuff when we come home!

Ċaw!

Lisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment