Saturday, October 22, 2011

Malta-Day3

Today was a quiet day. We went back to Cordina for breakfast. This time we had an English breakfast that had 2 eggs, 2 sausages, a little bit of "bacon", beans and toast. The sausages were far from greasy, and had nice flavour. The bacon was more like ham and a little salty. I had a cappuccino, and Joe had an espresso and a cappuccino. I was able to speak fairly decent Maltese with the waiter. Joe just loved hearing the back and forth.

It seems that we skip lunch. The food we have in the morning seems to hold us for quite a while. We just get a small snack to hold us until supper. Today we had strizzi. Strizzi are strips of almond filled cookie with icing on top. Mom makes them often. They are like strips of figolli. These ones were kind of bland. The icing was too sweet and lacked taste and the almonds could have used more almond essence. We were expecting something like mom's, and were very disappointed. The price was right! 35c for something just a bit smaller than an O'Henry bar. We only got them because the Dates Kiosk was closed; therefore, we couldn't get imqaret. We won't make that mistake again!

For supper, we were invited to our Aunty Tessie's home for a get together with her family. She served us pastizzi, sausage rolls and pizza.  The sausage rolls were made with tiny little sausages. I guess we'd call them cocktail weenies. The pizza was homemade, and it reminded us of mom's pizza. Joe and I tried Kinney, which is a common Maltese beverage. It is like a cola, but is bitter with a hint of orange. Joe thought it was interesting, and I still don't like it. I remember trying it when I was visiting 21 years ago. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. It looks like watered down coke, but it sure isn't coke!

Tomorrow is a busy day, and I'm sure I'll have some more interesting things to say :)

Ciao,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment