Sunday, October 23, 2011

Malta-Day4

This morning, we were in a little bit of a hurry because we were meeting one of my aunts was picking us up to take us around. We went to one of the first coffee shops we saw, which was Cafe Royale. This was not a great choice. Once again, we ended up having pastizzi because it was a quick thing. Pastizzi come in either ricotta or peas with meat. Usually the peas with the meat are simply called peas. We didn't expect the pea pastizzi to actually be just peas. We are not prepared for that. Joe didn't mind them, but I just couldn't. These pastizzi hardly had filling, and for the price of them, it was a bit of a rip off. The cappuccino I had was especially bitter, so I had to use quite a bit more sugar than I normally would.

For lunch, my Aunty Grace organized a get together with a number of my family members from my mom's side. We were a large group. There was my Aunty Grace with her husband David and daughter Miriella, Aunty Marcette with her husband Albert, Aunty Tessie with her husband Freddie, Aunty Jos with her husband Dominic and daughter Sharon, Aunty Miriam with her husband Harry and sons Noel and Carlo along with Noel's fiancee, Nadia. Joe and I ordered pizzas. He got pizza Melitae which had tomato sauce, mozzarella, Maltese sausage, goat's cheese, onions, parsley, olive oil and bighilla. Bighilla is a bean mash that Joe thought resembled refried beans with a twist. I got pizza Funghi that had tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms and oregano. We both liked them. They were quite filling!

In the evening, we were to meet with Aunty Mary and her friend Eugene, but on our way down the stairs, Joe sprained his ankle. Aunty Mary went out to see what she could find, and being a Sunday night, only McDonalds was open (nnnoooooo!!!!) We ate the nuggets, fries and salad that they kindly brought us. They also found some sweets that were with almonds. We were sold at sweets, but almonds sealed the deal. One had icing sugar on it, the others had slivered almonds and a bit of a citrus note. They were soooo good!

We'll be limping on more adventures, so stay tuned!

Ċaw(Maltese spelling of Ciao),

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I am extremely glad that there are no pictures in this post.

    ReplyDelete